Thursday, September 20, 2012

September 17


Exciting week up there. Well, maybe just active. Or interesting.

It´s continued to be outrageously hot again. Today was particularly bad. I think it´s because we stayed in the house all day where we basically just slow-baked. I actually felt like a rotisserie chicken. I laid down to try and not burn any calories since I felt like I was already warm enough, but my back would get sweaty, so I´d roll over, then my front would get sweaty, so I´d roll over again, etc. There is no relief here. Only if we want to slack and hide in the high priest´s room where there´s air conditioning.

Aside from all the heat, this week was pretty good for us. We had Elder Costa of the seventy give a conference a few weeks ago, and President Martins has made some big promises for us if we do everything he´d taught us. We finally started trying to work with members, which ended up really well. We have this older guy we´re teaching and the only member near him is a member who is everyone´s friend and really nice and everything, so we didn´t think he´d be a good fit for this guy who is trying to stop smoking and get his health back. During the lesson, the member was jumped in with ``Well, I can understand. I used to be a drug trafficker.´´ Elder Castillo and I just looked at each other like ``really?´´ He ended up helping out a lot with that guy. And when we started showing a little more faith that the members could actually help, lots of other things started working out better for us. President Martins sent me this quote today that explains what happened:
  • "To get salvation we must not only do some things, but everything which God has commanded. Men may preach and practice everything except those things which God commands us to do, and will be damned at last. We may tithe mint and rue, and all manner of herbs, and still not obey the commandments of God. The object with me is to obey and teach others to obey God in just what He tells us to do. It mattereth not whether the principle is popular or unpopular, I will always maintain a true principle, even if I stand alone in it" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 332).
We´ve found lots of new people, and we´re working with a bunch of less-actives that seem to sincerely want to come back to church. We´ve got FHE with one such family tonight.

I suppose the new truck is pretty cool. I kind of called it last week that you guys would be buying a new car any time. The only problem though is it isn´t my VW Gol.

As for Dallin´s buddy from São Paulo, I´ve got some slang for Dallin to use with him. They´re not super gangster though.
  • E aí (ee eye-EE) - what´s up
  • Cara (kada (the `d´ is the fancy `r´)) - Dude/Man
  • É nois (eh noice (like Jordan´s Australian ``Nice´´)) - Kind of like saying ``we´re cool´´
  • Negócio (neh-GOH-see-oo) - Thing (ex. what´s this thing? I forgot a thing(something).)
  • Beleza (beh-LAY-zuh) - OK (can be used as a question like ``Got it?´´ or even ``How´s it going?´´)
  • Valeu (va-LAY-oo) - Thanks (but cooler)
Well, we´re pretty excited for the next 2 weeks. We´ve got some big goals to fulfill still, and we´re holding strong that we´ll still meet them.

I also particularly liked the picture of Rylee and her friends eating donuts. I started laughing out loud and the 9-year-old playing Counter Strike to my left looked at me funny.

One last thing I just remembered. This Saturday, we had a cool youth activity. The youth from the 3 wards near our area got together, and we went on splits with one of the leaders to lead 4 different groups of youth throughout the neighborhoods nearby making street contacts and distributed pass-along cards for about 45 minutes. I was really impressed with several of the young men I was with. The 2 deacons in my group, one of which isn´t actually a member yet, did really well at explaining what we were doing and why. I thought it was a pretty cool activity. Mostly because we scored about 12 references in one day.
That´s it for this week. Until next.




Here´s one of the members we worked with. It was really hot that day, so we took a little break afterward to drink some water.




 
Here´s a cool butterfly I found.
 
Here´s a lizard for Lars. In the wild. It´s the size of my arm.
 
These birds just sat down in front of our house today.
 
I´ve been wanting to take this picture for a while now. I´m pretty sure that´s Goku´s peck, but I like to imagine it´s his shoulder.


 
That lizard 2 pictures earlier; here´s live footage.

--
-Elder Candland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments! We'll gather them up each week and send them to Adam.