Monday, November 12, 2012

November 12


I passed 1 year and 5 months this week. At 1 year and 6 months we get what´s called the trunky letter. I don´t know what´s actually written, but I assume it´s got my exact return date, so I´ll let you know when I get it so you know when I´m really come home instead of just a guess.

Anyway, this week was awful with work. We had the lowest numbers I´ve ever seen on my mission. Every marked appointment we had fell through, except for one. Regardless, we found lots of new people who show promise, and this week should be much better. Correction: will be. I don´t ever want another week as poor as this last. Not with such little time left.

As for the transfer, Elder Ruiz Diaz was transferred. He was transferred to a place in my second zone called Brasilândia. The day after we got the call about the transfers, we were at a members home for lunch and they had the news on. When the city alert part came on, the anchor started off ``Good afternoon, we have 6 dead and 3 wounded in Brasilândia after a shootout between police and drug traffickers last night.´´ It caught Elder Ruiz Diaz´s attention quickly and he started to get even more nervous to be transferred from his first area.

Anyway, the in the last month or so, things have gotten pretty intense with the police and all of the drug lords here in São Paulo. The traffickers have set a curfew for the city. At 10 pm everyone is to be in their homes or they´re shot. Well, it´s not that big of a deal since it really only matters if you´re in the areas that have more problems with drugs. And since the absolute latest we can get home is 9:30, we´re pretty safe. The police have practically declared war against the traffickers, and when any police officer is killed, the police come back and kill 5 in his place. It´s just been a bunch of vengeance between the two until it got as serious as it is now. The members at lunch are always like ``They shot 3 more police down in             last night.´´ None of the Elders have had any problems that I´ve heard of, but there are some people who think we´re from the police since we walk around in these clothes all day. Oh well, we´re protected just like the sons of Mosiah. 

Oh, my new companion is Elder Caetano. He´s from Brasília, and he was in my last zone in Sorocaba. We get a long well, but he´s also rather new on the mission and has a lot to learn still as well. 

Well, that´s it for this week. Next week I´ll have more to talk about. I´ll also finally have some more pictures.

Talk to you next week.
--
-Elder Candland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments! We'll gather them up each week and send them to Adam.