Monday, March 26, 2012

Week 31


So the big thing this week is we had a baptism here. It's the first baptism in the new ward since the ward changed. Her name is Rose (pronounced hosy). She was pretty excited to be baptized I think. I hadn't seen her that enthusiastic before. She's a pretty somber person usually. Anyway, she's the lady who found us in the grocery store a while ago.

Elder Rocha (HO-shuh), my companion, is Brasilian. Things are still getting better, slowly. Very slowly. He needs to learn a lot but doesn't really realize how much more there is for him to learn that he didn't already learn in the MTC. We'll get him there.

We got invited to another churrasco this last Saturday. We stayed, had some really good food, and tried to talk with some of their friends about the church. They always have other people at their home. We were on the street the other day and some guy came and talked to us real quick. He said that he'd met us at their house a few weeks ago. I don't remember him really, but he remembered us and the fact that the family likes us too helps their friends to feel a little more comfortable with the Elders.

I was thinking this morning, and remembered how much I didn't know about the Plan of Salvation and how it all works when I got to the MTC and started learning how to teach it. I was thinking it would be a good idea to to a FHE lesson on the Plan of Salvation as well as another on the Restoration. Those are both really important things that make our church of Jesus Christ different from all of the others. Especially for Dallin, Shaini, and Lars... Lars who could have opportunities to share the church with friends.

Another goal I thought might be a good goal for you guys is to try and think of a reference to give the Elders whenever they're over for dinner. We have a family here that kind of does that and it's super helpful. Plus, if the Missionaries happen to start teaching that family, you guys can help them out, and when members help, there is so much more success.

Alright, so my big thought for the week. We were studying the chapter on Christ-like Attributes and read teh scripture in Matthew when Jesus says that the greatest commandment is to love God, and second love our neighbors as we would ourselves. I was kind of trying to figure out exactly why that's most important, and it's kind of obvious: if we do everything with love, we'll do everything right. What I got from that is if we do everything with love, we can't sin. Someone could say (maybe someone like Lars) ``What if I kill someone with love? Well, there's the scripture that says "If ye love me, keep my commandments." Take that Lars. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's part of why Christ was able to be perfect.

Anyway, that's it. I did like the part in Dad's email about Rylee waiting at the free tray. I remember doing the same thing.



A green coconut.

Elder Morais chopped it open for me to drink.

That´s Elder Morais.

Some member in the ward has this ninja statuettes set up in his living room. My house will have something similar I believe.


Here´s a cool shot from his apartment.


Here´s Rose with her daughter Larissa in front of the church.

Elder Rocha, Rose, and me.

Our friend Van was taking pictures and he snapped this one. I think I look good in white. 



--
-Elder Candland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments! We'll gather them up each week and send them to Adam.